No announcement yet.

What Went Wrong, What Went Right??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Went Wrong, What Went Right??????

Well folks, I will try to keep this short and simple....

What Went Wrong???

First crash last weekend. I tried to do an update to the VB scripting, and in the process the server crashed because of a PHP conflict. At this point I thought it was my fault, but after 20 hours of trying everything I could think of, I got it working again. Basically, a miracle...

Second crash Wednesday morning. Well, this turned out to expose what really happened during the first crash, and how I got it to work for a couple days will always be a mystery. Boils down to what used to be a local Walla Walla hosting company that we have used for flippin years. We did not know that about a two years ago they sold the server and system to some second rate company in New York, and our site has been on that server ever sense. So, what happened Wednesday was the PHP system on the server crashed again, and this time we reached out for more help. Well after 24 hours they gave me a cock and bull story about changing the PHP version to a 2 year old outdated version and the site worked. What they meant to say is they destroyed all our files during this feeble attempt and so the server default page came up. So, trying to install again just brought up the same issue. After a little investigating from Adam, we figured out that we had been screwed and there was no way to fix this servers problems. The tech support was some bogus person probably in India somewhere...

What Went Right????

We immediately started looking for a new hosting server when Adam, in his wonderful wisdom, says "hey remember way back when we were thinking about letting VB host the site so we won’t have to worry about updates/crashes/security issues anymore??"

TAAADAAA, it took me about 10 seconds to see all the advantages, visions of my life going much easier, and we started that transfer Thursday morning...

Well it took until this morning to make the transfer complete. So, we are now moved into our new home, and there is so many advantages to this move it is crazy. I have given away almost all the leeway to do things to the forum itself as we have to run what is out of the box, but the nagging upgrades and associated problems are now an automatic thing that I/We don't have to worry about any more...

So What Is In The Future????

The www.nroa2003.com website itself revamp / expansion. Give me a couple weeks and I will have a kick arse website on my server, and the forum will stay where it now is...

For now the downloads section is not working, and the post images, but when I get back home tomorrow, I will start to rebuild all that...

Thanks all for being patient, and all the thanks so far. This whole last week + has taken what seems like a half lifetime from my schedule, but with a little more patience we will be totally up and running!!!
    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
    Celia's Gourmet Foods
    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

VB has a great history of success and is used by LOADS of very successful forums. Happy to see the transition and hope it (eventually) makes your life a TON easier.

...now about that Pendleteon Whisky fund....to where can we donate? Just send to you like we do for the fees?
    2015 AF 25W
    2015 Ford F350, 6.7l diesel
    Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
    along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

Comment

Originally posted by rural_canuck View Post
      VB has a great history of success and is used by LOADS of very successful forums. Happy to see the transition and hope it (eventually) makes your life a TON easier.

...now about that Pendleteon Whisky fund....to where can we donate? Just send to you like we do for the fees?
      Just joking, I already bought the bottle. But thanks!!!!!
      Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

I can remember a few nights of bare metal restores involving alcohol at one point or another....so glad you got back up and running!

I assume that nroa2003.com will eventually point directly to this address (currently it shows as https://466bc409fc54-005959.vbulletin.net/ which is probably not ideal). If the DNS records have been changed it will take time to redirect (which seems to be the case as the original domain lands here now) so it's probably a setting in vB that is displaying the actual address rather than an nroa2003.com one.....just a guess. And another bottle of whisky.
        2015 AF 25W

Comment

Originally posted by rural_canuck View Post
          I can remember a few nights of bare metal restores involving alcohol at one point or another....so glad you got back up and running!

I assume that nroa2003.com will eventually point directly to this address (currently it shows as https://466bc409fc54-005959.vbulletin.net/ which is probably not ideal). If the DNS records have been changed it will take time to redirect (which seems to be the case as the original domain lands here now) so it's probably a setting in vB that is displaying the actual address rather than an nroa2003.com one.....just a guess. And another bottle of whisky.
          Your are correct, right now there is a redirect from nroa2003.com to this forum IP address. I am planning to build a much more robust website under nroa2003.com, so the DNS records for that domain are still going to point to that address. I will be looking shortly in the back end of VB and try to find the page heading settings, I am not sure if there is one as we have always had the site on our own server. Never had to look for it before...

I just got home about 30 minutes ago, so there is a lot of work I will still do to the entire internet presence, but I have to get caught up with the business first...
          Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Nice! Apparently it's good software to work with. I've run across a few groups using it and the admins love it - and the help they get from the VBulletin forum as well....just like us Foxen right here!!
            2015 AF 25W

Comment

Thanks, Shotgun, we casual users have no clue about all the programming issues that pop up. I’m glad for your expertise and appreciate all your uncompensated time spent.
              Mark and Anita
              2020 25Y dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

anybody else getting an invalid URL message when trying to follow a link, I was hoping to take a look at Art's 27 - 5 manual now that I have a new to me 27-5 (2019) so I thought maybe I got the invalid message as my month free subscription is up but when I went to follow the link to pay my 20 bucks got the invalid URL on that as well???
                Bill and Charlene from Alberta
                2019 Arctic Fox 27-5l (new to us in 2022)
                3 x 200 watt solar 2000 inverter

Comment

Probably the URL's to the previous NROA site?
                  2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                  2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                  Honda EU2000i Generator
                  River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                  Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    anybody else getting an invalid URL message when trying to follow a link, I was hoping to take a look at Art's 27 - 5 manual now that I have a new to me 27-5 (2019) so I thought maybe I got the invalid message as my month free subscription is up but when I went to follow the link to pay my 20 bucks got the invalid URL on that as well???
                    The URL for Site Registration is now working.

Please tell me where you found Art's link.
                    Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

The URL for Site Registration is now working.

Please tell me where you found Art's link.
                      I think the reference is the to the link in Art's signiture, you can find a post from here:
                      https://466bc409fc54-005959.vbulleti...todays-chuckle
                      Post #9

It looks like we don't have any of the old posts so the links don't have anything to pull up.
                      2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                      2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter with CCGX Color Control panel, BMV 712 Battery Monitor and Smart Solar MPPT 100|50 controller with 610W of Solar

Comment

Oh weird, don't know how I got the Albums hyperlink in my post above, it appears to try and take me to some older posts. I only see 3 pages of post in my normal screen, this hyperlink shows 5 more pages.

#9 = Albums
                        2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                        2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter with CCGX Color Control panel, BMV 712 Battery Monitor and Smart Solar MPPT 100|50 controller with 610W of Solar

Comment

invalid url.pngI also often get pages like the attached screen snip when clicking links in posts. I just assumed it was a result of the switch to a new host and that things will eventually work again. As examples, if you click on either of the "Progressive Industries EMS", or "Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall, in my signature, you will get that error.
                          2021 Ram 6.7L 68RFE 3500 4X4 CCSB | ARE MX Cap |
                          2018 Nash 26N. Rear View Camera, 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet,
                          Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
                          2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                            invalid url.pngI also often get pages like the attached screen snip when clicking links in posts. I just assumed it was a result of the switch to a new host and that things will eventually work again. As examples, if you click on either of the "Progressive Industries EMS", or "Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall, in my signature, you will get that error.
                            The hyperlinks in signatures will have to be changed manually by the members themselves. I do not have the time to check each and everyone's signatures and make the changes... I will post the "How To Do This" as a sticky tomorrow when I have time...
                            Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Updated sig to have NEW/broke/whatever link to creation thread
                              2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel with pull rite superglide
                              2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,power watchdog, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual
                              My 27-5l Manual creation thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X