Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adam's 2022 NROA Rally - La Grande, Oregon - Tuesday June 21st - Sunday June 26th

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Portland, seems as though the motor in our truck has decided to give up on life. Not sure what we are going to do yet.
    ----------------------------------
    2010 Dodge 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi, TRX 4x4
    1997 Nash 25S Travel Trailer
    http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/fileda...photoid=221486

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220621_024328920a.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	318827 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220622_020851416a.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	318829 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220621_025029562a.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	318828
      Welcome Get-Together....
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

• We got a resolution. We shipped the '10 pickup home. We decided to look at a newer truck and found one up in Kent, WA. Took all day but we will be back on the road in the morning headed to the rally! We'll see everyone tomorrow!
        ----------------------------------
        2010 Dodge 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi, TRX 4x4
        1997 Nash 25S Travel Trailer
        http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/fileda...photoid=221486

Comment

• For those of you that have been to the Hot Lake Hotel near the rally campground, here's a video that was suggested to me by the owner to look at.

The 44 minute video shows what the hotel looked like when it was abandoned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHn9hTqx1mM

Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	318891

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

• Holy cow! I had read quite about the hotel in older days, but hadn't seen it as haunted1 Watched about 5 minutes of the video but didn't have time to finish tonight--and think I prefer to do it NOT before bedtime!
            Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
            2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
            2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
            2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

• Torklift made it and they brought their stair display, stable load truck driving challenge & are doing a pod cast after the presentation if anyone wants to hang out after with them!!
              Adam
              2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
              07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
              07 AF31W Mod's
              Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

• NROA Family HAPPY 20 YEARS!!!
                Write up by Donna

It's flown by, but what a fun time it has been. We've met sooooo many nice people!
                For those of you that just could not do the prices of fuel this year, we feel for ya! We're hoping for lower costs next year, so we can see each one of you again.
                It's been a long cool spring, and the park and the whole area is greener and even more beautiful than usual. My camera has been busy. =)

We started this year with awesome help setting up the big top, and many, many hands helping set out chairs, put up decorations, hang lighting, and more signing up to help at other events over the week.
                Our early bird dinner was at Bud Jackson's again with a nice turn out. It was good to see so much chatter going on, and I do have to say thank you to Susan and Roger who managed to highjack our dinner bill. You guys are very sweet.

Tuesday morning came, and the coffee was on and ready. Several hung around the building and visited. Most picked up their gift bags, and Adam was still running around being a busy bee.
                Bingo was our first activity, and I believe they played 5 games. Afterwards Adam and Bob Nelson set up Gonzo Golf and Matt from the factory was in and out through the day bringing in display models for everyone to look at and walk through all week.

Wednesday morning started with Kevin and Julie doing a class on Harvest Host and Boondockers Welcome. They are owned by the same, but ran as 2 different businesses. Kevin went through the differences between the 2, and showed everyone how to use the site as a member, and also as a host. For those that may not already know, this is a way to R.V. and stay for free at peoples residences or businesses . Some of the sites are in gorgeous settings, and you may even make a few friends along the way.
                Ice Cream Social started at 1, with many helping hands. Ice Cream, hot fudge sauce, Hershey's chocolate sauce, sliced strawberries, blueberries and whip cream with a brownie to top it off. We may have needed a good hike after that!
                White Elephant was next under the Big Top. There were some really nice prizes like arctic fox chairs, a nice beach towel, and a basket set that got stolen all 3 times. A few gag gifts made for some laughs, like a bag of onions! Then there were some infamous ones that seem to come back every year, like the "rally pig" and the support bra. The rally pig even came with a list of all the places it's traveled since last being here!
                At 3pm was a factory tour. We weren't sure these were going to happen this year, but I'm told we owe many many thanks to Donald Cochran. I know a lot of members really look forward to seeing how our trailers were put together. Thank you Northwood for doing that!!
                6:30 was movie night and this year "
                Sahara" was the winner. Popcorn was served, and Gene from Nevada treated everyone with specialty brews from his area.

Vernon and Sharon have our campfire going every single night, and each night a few people gather around. It's a great way to end a long fun day.

Thursday Author and Historian Richard Roth came to do a talk on Hot Lakes History. He actually lived at the Hot Lakes Hotel for over 30 years from 1942 until the 1970's, He filled 3 tables with items from the hotel, and had notebooks filled with pictures, and information. We learned that the whole valley used to be underwater, and back then you could canoe from Adam's Ave (in town) all the way out here! We also learned that Island City did in fact used to be an island. Named pretty appropriately!
                At 1pm Northwood came and pulled up on front of the building with Ron Nash’s personal trailer to show us how to properly reseal our trailers. This is a awesome event as it’s so important to keep it sealed. They went into great detail as always on how to perform this maintenance and answered all questions.
                Our afternoon was spent in Union Oregon, and everyone came and went as they wanted to. Museum entry was part of the tour, and although it may look small from the entrance, there is a lot to see in there including buildings in the back! The Historic Union Hotel was also ready for people to come take a look around. Adam and I actually stayed here about 20 years ago. It's pretty interesting.
                We ended the day with potluck, and I have to say there are a
                LOT of awesome cooks in this camp. We may be a smaller group this year, but I think we could have fed 3 campgrounds. 4 full sized tables were FILLED. Towards the end we put out the rest of Gene's beer from Nevada, and the remaining brownies from the ice cream social. We were teasing everyone that they had to take a beer and a brownie when they left. =)
                It was a long day, but we sat by the fire for a while and listened to Mike and Tamara tell about the renovations at the Lodge at Hot Lakes. It's been a HUGE undertaking, but they've brought it up by leaps and bounds. Right now they have several rooms available, a movie theatre, the bar is up and going and they do offer a few snack items. Then last but certainly not least are the hot tubs, and soaking areas. They overlook the lake and make for a very relaxing time. You do also have the option of just coming out and using them for the day without having to get a room.

It's Friday already. Time always goes super fast here, it's so much fun seeing everyone, and all you do is blink and days have gone by. Today we started the day with SkyMed. They cover 32 countries, and help get you, your truck, and trailer where you need to be in a medical emergency. These guys have been to our rally for several years now, and they even start the day with doughnuts for the attendees!
                Today is the big day that Northwood is coming to do the catered lunch and the raffle!
                Everyone stood around talking to the employees who were both friendly and helpful and before we knew it, it was time for the group picture! This year they took it from a tri-pod and from a drone. They turned out great!
                Lunch was really good, and we filled the building and even had people under the big top. Shortly after we started with each Northwood employee introducing themselves and how long they've been with the company. Then the raffle began, and each site won a very nice prize. The grand prize was a set of 10 Dewalt tools, Neil this means you have to get to work!
                The rest of the afternoon was slow, and relaxing. Then at 7pm we met at the Lodge at Hot Lakes for Social night. Some sat inside, and there was a whole patio outside that we managed to fill too. Once the sun went down it cooled off pretty fast!

Well our last full day (Saturday) is here already. Tomorrow we'll head for home. We started with a crafting/sewing/painting session in the back of the building. There was a little bit of everything from quilting, rock painting, cross stitching, crocheting, felt crafts, and drawings! While we took up the back of the building, Torklift came and "entertained" the rest in the front with a seminar that was extremely informative. Kyler and Hunter did a fantastic job of answering all questions. They also had the Torklift truck there so you could see how much improved the ride and control was with the items installed. They did several drawings for products (even gave away a full set of stairs) and offered a show price discount of 45% off any thing in their whole catalog!
                At 1pm we gathered around in the building and swapped R.V. stories. Some were learning curves, some were informational and some were sharing “don’t ever do this” stories!
                At 4 pm Adam did the last Bingo and gave away 5 more prizes. After dinner we met around the campfire for one last hurrah, and had S’mores with Sharon and Vernon.

Sunday morning we met for a potluck breakfast to send everyone off with a full stomach. Believe me with this group, you do NOT walk away hungry! Thank you to the many helping hands in cleaning up the building. It amazes me every year how fast you guys are!
                It’s been a very full week, but so many good memories made.
                Many Many thanks to our R.V. family for one more great year. We are already looking forward to next year.

Happy Trails everyone!

I just wanted to add to my wife's write up a big Thank You to my wife for the write up each year. I also wanted to add I had so much fun working with Ken and David on Neil's unit (Smokeys) diagnosing and repairing the electrical side of the water heater. These small work groups are so fun and while we all are amatures the collective knowledge usually ends up with a fix. See you all next year!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022 NROA Rally - La Grande06272022.jpg Views:	49 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	318939

Adam
                07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

• Thanks, Donna, for a great narrative of the week--not as good as being there, but almost!
                  Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                  2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                  2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                  2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

• Last year the county graded Hot Lake Lane the week before the rally. This year they graded the road Monday morning after most folks had already departed. If you waited to leave until the noon checkout time to leave on Monday, you were gifted with a nice smooth road. The downside is that the county dumped so much water on the road after grading that it made a nice slurry which made for quite a mess to clean off the truck and trailer no matter how slow you moved down the road. My protective layer of road grime was no help. :-)
                    1998 USAF retiree
                    2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M; Progressive HW50C, 5.5KW LP Gen, 1520W solar, 24v/600AH lithium, Quattro 24/5000/120 inverter, Cerbo GX/Touch 70, Lynx BMS and distributors
                    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, Transfer Flow 50 gal. aux tank, B&W Companion

Comment

• Well the new rock quarry up the road was suppose to do it the week before the rally as those dump trucks that zip up and down the road are tearing it up. If it was the county doing it then I am guessing they got tired of waiting for it to be done.
                      Adam
                      07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

• ... based on all the daily RV traffic and yearly taxes Hot Lake Resort pays, it should have been paved years ago....

Comment

• Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
                          ... based on all the daily RV traffic and yearly taxes Hot Lake Resort pays, it should have been paved years ago....
                          That has been discussed several times and its not the cost of paving but the cost of the forever upkeep once they do pave it that kills it.
                          Adam
                          07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

• On another note. I want to thank Adam and Ken Kerfoot on this forum for all the help they were in being determined to get our hot water tank running on electric and propane. They were doggedly determined to get it figured out! :-) Then there was Dave next door who found a dead fuse, And the fellow from Northwood who made two trips from factory with parts, one on his own time! We are very grateful for all the help! And I got help with Refer today from Norcold and need a new Power Board. Got that lined up. New to us 2015 27-5L is mostly in good shape, but it is 7 years old, so some things to do. The major slide out with no stop was an obvious fix and my retired iron worker buddy made the part with gussets! Can't believe anyone would go 7 years without wondering about that!! :-)
                            Last edited by Smokey; 07-06-2022, 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Neil and Marilyn + Beamer & Tuxie (the Tuxedo Cats)
                            New to us: 2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7 4x4, Extended Cab 8' Bed

2015 Ford F250 SD
                            2015 AF 27-5L New to us 03/31/22

Comment

• We had a blast as always at the rally this year! We met great new people, reconnecting with old friends, and as always learned new things! GREAT job Adam and Donna, we appreciate your hard work putting this together!
                              Kirk and Kay
                              Kirk n Kay
                              2012 F-250
                              2016 27-5L

Comment

• Hey Neil, Thanks for the trust you had in all of us who tackled that water heater. It was quite fun!

We had a blast as always at the rally this year! We met great new people, reconnecting with old friends, and as always learned new things! GREAT job Adam and Donna, we appreciate your hard work putting this together!
                                Kirk and Kay
                                Your welcome and hopefully you can make it back next year!
                                Adam
                                07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

Working...
                                X