Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you climb into your pickup bed to unhitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rolland View Post
    Would the Amp Research Bed Step 2 work with a dually….https://www.amp-research.com/bedstep-2-side-bumper-step I know of one from a member that has one and a dually, just not sure where he has it located.

Just a word of warning, be careful no matter how you step up to get to the hitch, we have a friend who tripped on a water hose on his sloped driveway and has been out of commission for 3 weeks. He torn an Achilles near where it attaches to his calf muscle, it’s high in his leg and surgery isn’t an option. He’s been in a cast since letting nature heal and just got into a boot. To keep swelling down still needs to keep it elevated and will for a bit longer, but is a bit more mobile. Doctors say he’s looking at a year for a full recovery.
    Rolland, Thanks for the reminder. As we age, we can lose our agility and strength and the darnedest things can happen. I'm not allowed on tall ladders anymore says the DW.
    Neil and Marilyn + Beamer & Tuxie (the Tuxedo Cats)
    New to us: 2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7 4x4, Extended Cab 8' Bed

2015 Ford F250 SD
    2015 AF 27-5L New to us 03/31/22

Comment

Originally posted by Manfred View Post
      I’m 6’2” and with my dually, I can’t reach it either. I use a small two step aluminum ladder that rides in the basement. I can reach over that fender and do what needs to be done.
      X2. I initially was stepping onto the tire and reaching in. That stopped when the tire was wet and I slipped off the tire. I travel by myself and have two critters to take care of and decided that it was worth the time to use the step ladder to reduce the risk of injury. On some ground using the ladder is still unstable and I almost need to climb over the side and into the bed to pull the pin and release the hitch.
      1998 USAF retiree
      2020/21 Arctic Fox 32-5M; Progressive HW50C, 5.5KW LP Gen, 1520W solar, 24v/600AH lithium, Quattro 24/5000/120 inverter, Cerbo GX/Touch 70, Lynx BMS and distributors
      2020 Chevrolet 3500HD - Diesel, 4x4, DRW, Transfer Flow 50 gal. aux tank, B&W Companion

Comment

This works great for me...also helpful for cleaning windshield and working on engine.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1225849_A1?.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	319633
        2016 AF 32-5M, 1,150 watt Solar Panels ([email protected], [email protected]), 2 LifeBlue 200Ah lithium batteries (400Ah), Victron Blue MPPT 150/85 Cont, MS2812 Magnum Pure Sine Inverter/Charger, 5.5 Onan LP Gen, 12 cu ft Dutchaire 12V compressor fridge, 6pt leveling, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed Wilderness RV mattress, Central Vac.Surge Guard Model 34560, rear camera, clear door window,

2016 F-450 Lariat. B&W Comp Hitch. Remax Bed Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling other seasons.

Comment

I used this very successfully

Limited-time deal: Folding Heavy Duty Tire Steps for Truck , Truck tire Step,Tire Steps for Pickup Truck, SUV and RVs Adjustable Tire Mounted Auto Step Fits Any Tire from 9'' to 13'', Rated up to 300 lbs (Black 1) https://a.co/d/5AoC0NL
          Terry Haynes
          AF Retiree. 18 29-5T, Disc Brakes, Slipper Springs, 2 acs w/ SoftStart & RV Airflow,12v EverChill frig, Pantry & Bsmt slides, Slide Toppers, Drain Mstr, LevelMatePRO, SeaLevel II, TorkLift Steps, 3.8KW Gen, 4 BB Batt, Victron Multiplus II, Clr Ctrl GX & 712 Batt Monitor, Clear Source Ultra, Softener, RO & Acuva UV Fltr
          19 RAM 3500 CTD SRW LB Longhorn, B&W Hitch, BAK Flip Cover, TST w/ truck and RV spare tire monitors, 4 cam Van Wrks, 60 gal aux fuel tank, 60A dc-dc charger

Comment

Originally posted by Travel N Trade View Post
            I've shrunk down to less than 5'10" and I can reach mine thanks to the side step GM puts in their beds now. I step up and then lay over the bedrail. Gotta be careful that zippers and belt buckles don't scratch the paint.
            I was holding out for a ‘20 or newer for the step and camera system when I bought the ‘19 earlier this year. When I did find one DW wouldn’t let me spend that much. She couldn’t see another 20k worth of truck
            Roger & Kelly, Crayonn (Goldendoodle)
            2009 Arctic Fox 29L
            2019 Chev 3500HD Duramax Dually, Retractable tonneau, Edge gauges, Torklift hitch/camper tiedowns.

Comment

Originally posted by HRA View Post

I was holding out for a ‘20 or newer for the step and camera system when I bought the ‘19 earlier this year. When I did find one DW wouldn’t let me spend that much. She couldn’t see another 20k worth of truck
              Both the side steps and tailgate step are very handy. The invisible trailer feature for the cameras doesn't work with a fifth-wheel, but I still depend on all the other cameras often. Without the cargo camera I would have a heck of a time hitching up because my tonneau cover blocks the view of my hitch. I also love the rear facing cameras on the side mirrors; they give you a great view down the sides of the trailer when making lane changes...I actually wanted a one ton SRW, but couldn't pass up the deal when I found the one I have. Picked it up for $65k with 30k miles just before prices took off. I threw air-bags on it and called it good. With me, my wife, some tools under the back seat, full tanks of fuel and def, we only have 190lbs to spare when pulling our trailer empty according to the door sticker. So I'm sure we won't be legal when towing loaded up. That said, with the air-bags, the truck is actually more capable than a SRW one ton since the only difference between the two is the spring packs.
              2020 GMC 2500HD SLT X31 Off-Road Crew-Cab, 6.6 Duramax, 10-Speed Allison, Banks Derringer Tuner with iDash, DataMonster and PedalMonster, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck & B&W RVK3500 5th-Wheel Hitch, Firestone Ride-Rite 5k Air Helper Springs, Bak Revolver X2 Hard Rolling Tonneau Cover.
              2022 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Waiting for delivery. Upgrades to come.

Comment

Deciduous 1, I decided to follow your lead and I have a Powerbuilt Heavy Duty Tire Step ordered, it should arrive today. Tough getting old.
                2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Aisen, 3.73 gears. 190,000 miles.

2021 32-5M. 1200 watts solar, 400 AH LiFePo4, Smart Shunt, MultuPlus 3000, Solar Charge Controller, Microair Easystart both ACs, EMS, Cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolland View Post
                  Would the Amp Research Bed Step 2 work with a dually….https://www.amp-research.com/bedstep-2-side-bumper-step I know of one from a member that has one and a dually, just not sure where he has it located....
                  I have Amp Research Bed Steps on both sides of our 2016 Ram Dually. The steps install forward of the fender flare and about 2 feet back of the front of the bed so for me they are two far back to reach the release or the release lock on my Reese hitch. I tend to it as the first step then put my foot on the rear dually and step up on it. Seriously thinking of getting one of the slip over tire steps others have mentioned.
                  2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                  2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter with CCGX Color Control panel, BMV 712 Battery Monitor and Smart Solar MPPT 100|50 controller with 610W of Solar

Comment

Reading this thread I decided to order the power built step, got it today. Out of the box was already set up to fit my 235/80-17’s. Will have to raise the step to clear the center cap on the front tires though. It’s under the rear seat, will come in handy washing the windshield.
                    I had been thinking about one but didn’t know anyone with one to ask. I like the grate type step instead of solid, should work better in rain and snow! My truck is also my daily driver to work.
                    Roger & Kelly, Crayonn (Goldendoodle)
                    2009 Arctic Fox 29L
                    2019 Chev 3500HD Duramax Dually, Retractable tonneau, Edge gauges, Torklift hitch/camper tiedowns.

Comment

Working...
                    X