Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you climb into your pickup bed to unhitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you climb into your pickup bed to unhitch?

I was following the thread about auxiliary fuel tanks in the bed when I realized that installing one could impede me getting into the bed to unhitch the trailer.

I'm 75 y/o old 6' tall, 190#, 32" inseam and my mount up routine goes like this:
    • open left rear passenger door
    • step up on running board with my right foot
    • grab left rear passenger strap in my left hand
    • step up on cab threshold with my left foot
    • throw right leg over the side of the pickup bed
    • grab small seam in the cab body with my right hand
    • shift weight to right leg
    • gracefully bring left leg into pickup bed
    If I added the RDS aux tank with the cool tool box I wouldn't have any place to plant my feet getting into the bed.

Am I doing something wrong? Of course it's easy to get into the bed from the back bumper even with the tailgate down but how do you do it when your hitched?
    Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
    4x4 3500 WT Duramax DRW crewcab
    2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K
    B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch

wow....that is a lot of work....I just reach in and pull the release handle while standing next to the side of the truck and unhitch. Am I missing something?
    2019 Dodge Laramie 4x4, 3500 CTD, SRW, crew cab, Reese 16K Slider hitch

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 320w solar system, Trimetric 2030 Solar Charge Controller, Trimetric 2030 Battery Monitor, Fireplace, small window in bedroom, Magnum 400 inverter, TST 507 tire monitor, RV Airflow system
    2015 Arctic Fox 25-Y sold

Comment

He has a dually, even at 6-3 and my 38” arm length I can’t reach it either with a dually.
      Roger & Kelly, Crayonn (Goldendoodle)
      2009 Arctic Fox 29L
      2019 Chev 3500HD Duramax Dually, Retractable tonneau, Edge gauges, Torklift hitch/camper tiedowns.

Comment

I usually don’t even get into the bed. I step on top of the driver side rear wheel and lean over the bed rail from there or, if necessary, I can swing a leg over into the bed from there and sort of straddle the left bed rail. Either way I can reach the pin for the hitch handle release and breakaway cable which has a carabiner on it clipped to the hitch bolt lock plate. Then hop back down.
        2019 SILVERADO 3500, crew cab standard bed, rear Sumo Spring bump stop replacements, B&W Companion.

2020 ARCTIC FOX 29-5T, queen bed, dinette, 12cf fridge. 100w roof solar feeding factory battery bank, 880w roof solar plus 120W portable feeding secondary 300amp lithium battery bank via 3 Victron controllers, 2000w Samlex inverter with remote control wired through factory transfer switch.

Comment

Originally posted by HRA View Post
          He has a dually, even at 6-3 and my 38” arm length I can’t reach it either with a dually.
          ^^^^^
          This
          Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
          2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K

Comment

Originally posted by obie311 View Post
            I was following the thread about auxiliary fuel tanks in the bed when I realized that installing one could impede me getting into the bed to unhitch the trailer.

I'm 75 y/o old 6' tall, 190#, 32" inseam and my mount up routine goes like this:
            • open left rear passenger door
            • step up on running board with my right foot
            • grab left rear passenger strap in my left hand
            • step up on cab threshold with my left foot
            • throw right leg over the side of the pickup bed
            • grab small seam in the cab body with my right hand
            • shift weight to right leg
            • gracefully bring left leg into pickup bed
            If I added the RDS aux tank with the cool tool box I wouldn't have any place to plant my feet getting into the bed.

Am I doing something wrong? Of course it's easy to get into the bed from the back bumper even with the tailgate down but how do you do it when your hitched?
            the older I get the handier the much used 3 step folding painting ladder is - and it doubles at the right height as a seat for bbqing and campstove duties, the odd day when feeling spry I just hop up on back tire and swing over
            Bill and Charlene from Alberta
            2019 Arctic Fox 27-5l (new to us in 2022)
            3 x 200 watt solar 2000 inverter

Comment

I’m 6’2” and with my dually, I can’t reach it either. I use a small two step aluminum ladder that rides in the basement. I can reach over that fender and do what needs to be done.
              2019 Ram 3500 Dually, Aisin, Transfer Flow aux tank, B&W Hitch

2021 32-5M Generator, Go Power 2000W Inverter/Charger, 500ah Lithium Batteries, 510W Solar Victron controller and shunt, 12v Amish Fridge, Disk Brakes, Easy Start AC.

Comment

I have an Andersen hitch and use the safety chains. To get to them in the bottom middle of the bed I use a step that hangs on the tire.
                Bob P
                2016 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7 PSD 4x4
                2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

Originally posted by phillips1970 View Post
                  I have an Andersen hitch and use the safety chains. To get to them in the bottom middle of the bed I use a step that hangs on the tire.
                  Ditto on the Andersen hitch, after removing the “red” tubs off the front jacks I place next to the rear truck tires and stand on them to hook the safety chains from the hitch to the fifth wheel then put them in the truck bed.
                  Steve & Cindy
                  2022 AF 28-5C 5th wheel
                  2019 GMC Duramax 3500 Denali

Comment

Would the Amp Research Bed Step 2 work with a dually….https://www.amp-research.com/bedstep-2-side-bumper-step I know of one from a member that has one and a dually, just not sure where he has it located.

Just a word of warning, be careful no matter how you step up to get to the hitch, we have a friend who tripped on a water hose on his sloped driveway and has been out of commission for 3 weeks. He torn an Achilles near where it attaches to his calf muscle, it’s high in his leg and surgery isn’t an option. He’s been in a cast since letting nature heal and just got into a boot. To keep swelling down still needs to keep it elevated and will for a bit longer, but is a bit more mobile. Doctors say he’s looking at a year for a full recovery.
                    Rolland & Judie, 1 Sheltie, Brinkley

2013 GMC Yukon Denali, 6.2 liter, no mods

2021 19' Other Brand Travel Trailer

Comment

I currently do as GaltsGulch does, step up on the driver's side dually tire and reach in. I use a padlock to lock the lever on the B&W hitch so it takes a little extra effort some times. I do have a small folding step stool in the truck bed similar to this one ( https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Step-...s%2C112&sr=8-5 ) if I should have issues with that big step up.
                      2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Aisen, 3.73 gears. 190,000 miles.

2021 32-5M. 1200 watts solar, 400 AH LiFePo4, Smart Shunt, MultuPlus 3000, Solar Charge Controller, Microair Easystart both ACs, EMS, Cameras.

Comment

I've shrunk down to less than 5'10" and I can reach mine thanks to the side step GM puts in their beds now. I step up and then lay over the bedrail. Gotta be careful that zippers and belt buckles don't scratch the paint.
                        2020 GMC 2500HD SLT X31 Off-Road Crew-Cab, 6.6 Duramax, 10-Speed Allison, Banks Derringer Tuner with iDash, DataMonster and PedalMonster, B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck & B&W RVK3500 5th-Wheel Hitch, Firestone Ride-Rite 5k Air Helper Springs, Bak Revolver X2 Hard Rolling Tonneau Cover.
                        2022 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Waiting for delivery. Upgrades to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Travel N Trade View Post
                          I've shrunk down to less than 5'10" and I can reach mine thanks to the side step GM puts in their beds now. I step up and then lay over the bedrail. Gotta be careful that zippers and belt buckles don't scratch the paint.
                          I like those steps. Wish my truck had one.
                          Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
                          2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K

Comment

I use a Powerbuilt Tire Step for reaching the hitch safety pin, emergency wire and handle. I don't have to climb into the bed. The DRW fuel cap access requires opening the lid of the tool box. I have a small step ladder in the bed that I stand on to open the box and add fuel. I also keep a thick towel in the truck to put across the truck fender/rail. Very handy when refueling a wet or dirty truck. I have to lay across the fender to reach the lock and latch release.
                            The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

2020 Ram 3500 diesel dually, curt hitch, 60 gal aux tank with tool box, Airlift 7500, RM RV GPS
                            32-5m, basement slide, bedrm air & TV,, fireplace, 5.5 onan, LT Endurance G, rear camera,TPMS

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

the older I get the handier the much used 3 step folding painting ladder is - and it doubles at the right height as a seat for bbqing and campstove duties, the odd day when feeling spry I just hop up on back tire and swing over
                              I'm same. At 82 and can't even step up on top of the tire anymore! So, I too have a small folding ladder to set next to truck to reach the B&W handle. Easy peasy. I would enjoy again having a 40 gallon Transfer Flow auxillary tank.
                              Neil and Marilyn + Beamer & Tuxie (the Tuxedo Cats)
                              New to us: 2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7 4x4, Extended Cab 8' Bed

2015 Ford F250 SD
                              2015 AF 27-5L New to us 03/31/22

Comment

Working...
                              X